Polymyalgia Rheumatica & Giant Cell Arteritis UK (PMRGCAuk) is a registered charity established to meet the needs of people with these debilitating conditions by offering support, raising awareness and promoting research.
There were various reasons for setting up the Charity:
- There is not enough information for the general public to make them aware they may have these conditions, and how important it is to seek help.
- There was a need for an organisation to act as an advocate for people suffering with these conditions.
- The two conditions are relatively unknown and neglected, although widespread, and doctors on the front line often do not recognise the early warning signs of these conditions, or know about some of their more serious complications.
- There is a major unmet need for better service provision for the two conditions.
- There is no known cause or cure, and research is much needed which is why we are part-sponsoring research into PMR and GCA.
- People with PMR and GCA often feel alone and isolated with an illness that others don’t understand. We aim to support them with information and advice, local groups, a helpline, newsletters and a forum shared with people who understand what they are going through.